Top 10 things NOT to say to an Air Force spouse who's loved one is deployed/deploying (And what to say INSTEAD)

In my husband's 14 years of military service we have heard some interesting/comical commentary about him deploying!


So hold on tight, because I had a little help from my fellow Travis wives to compile this list:

TOP 10 THINGS NOT TO SAY TO AN AIR FORCE SPOUSE WHO'S LOVED ONE IS DEPLOYED. (And what to say instead ;))


1. "You're so lucky your spouse is in the AIR FORCE, they have super short deployments!"

Instead say: "No matter how long they're gone, deployments are still hard. Thinking of you!"




2. "My cousin's uncle's sister's brother deployed for 18 months, so you really can't complain."

Instead say: "Will be thinking of you guys!"



3. "My spouse could never be gone that long, they would miss us too much!"

Instead say: "since my spouse is often home, how can we help you??"



4. "Will your spouse be killing people?" (My husband is a NURSE, so I surely hope not! 😂)

Instead say: "Will be praying for your spouse while they're in a dangerous country."





5.  "Good thing you only have 2-3 kids instead of the SEVEN children I have!"

I don't have a replacement for this. Just STOP.



6. "Are you going to miss them??"

Instead say: I'm sure you and the kids will miss them, will be praying for your family!"



7. "Your spouse will get to come home for Christmas right???"

Instead say: "Can we get your spouse's address and send their unit some Christmas cheer?"





8. "My husband travels for work several times a year, It's not that hard, you'll be fine."

Again, no replacement. Just stop.



9. "Well your spouse is in the Air Force, so he's probably deploying to Germany or something."

Instead say: "Sorry your spouse will be gone for a while, how can I help?"





10. "You and the kids can go visit them, right?!"

Even if we could, we don't really want to visit Afghanistan....sooo....



Hopefully this was helpful, and/or made you giggle! I haven't received ALL of these comments, but they're all pretty common!

-Leah

Comments

Popular Posts